Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Why Kids Love Diary of a Wimpy Kid

It seems that Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney is flying off the shelves.

This book is a hit among my daughter's friends (9-12 year olds). I couldn't help but wonder in a world filled with Edward, Jacob, Stefan and Damon's why this book is so interesting to her age group. So I asked her. This is her response verbatim.

VR: Why do you like to read?

CR: Books are full of interesting stories.

VR: What is your favorite book and why?

CR: Diary of a Wimpy Kid because it makes me laugh.

VR: What is Diary of a Wimpy Kid about?

CR: It's a story about Greg who's around 12 years old. It's basically Greg's journal and he tells about his everyday life. He writes about home, school, his brother and his friends. He also draws in his journal about the day's events.

VR: What makes you want to read about Greg's everyday life?

CR: Because he makes fun of everyday situations and it makes me laugh.

VR: Can you relate to what Greg goes through?

CR: YES! (*head nod* and that was a BIG 'yes'!)

VR: Thank you for answering my questions. I only have two more.

CR: (*eye roll*) OK.

VR: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

CR: Both! I like vampires, but I like Jacob's abs.
(*eye roll* from Mom)

VR: Team Stefan or Team Damon?

CR: Team Damon!


No comments:

Post a Comment